Dufouleur Frères - History


One Family's
Passion


The village of Nuit-Saint-Georges having been pillaged and burned in 1576, it is impossible to trace the geneology of the inhabitants beyond that date. The Dufouleur family find their first records dating from 1596, the baptismal date of Gilles Du fouleur, son of Pierre Du fouleur, winegrower in Nuits. This is in fact one of the oldest families of the village, and from that date, it is possible to follow the succeeding generations, each one of which was directly associated with wine and winemaking.

The origins of the family name are easy to imagine, since the trade of the grapecrusher (le fouleur) has existed for centuries: it consisted then of mixing the grapes manually, crushing pulp and skins together. Ancient images (stained glass, illuminated manuscripts) as well as citations in numerous works attest to the existence of this trade, which was alive well into the end of the 19th century.


One Family's
Passion


After the French Revolution, a breeze of capitalism wafted the country, and particularly in Burgundy, where the largest number of vineyards—which were formerly the property of the Church and the abbeys—were sold. The Dufouleur family at that time formally instituted the domain, which was taken primarily from the land surrounding Nuits-Saint-Georges.

During the centennial of rapid change that constituted the 19th century, some pioneers launched themselves on the roads of France and Europe seeking to conquer new clients for their wines. Symphorien Dufouleur II was one of them: having decided to add the activity of wine négociant -the ageing of purchased wine--to the domain, he founded in 1848 the Maison Dufouleur in Nuits-Saint-Georges.

Business prospered, and his son Symphorien III joined him in the development. His sons, Joseph and Alexis, continued to develop the business, and it then aquired a new name: Dufouleur Père & Fils. At the dawn of the 20th century, the company already had a solid reputation in Burgundy. The chateau of Nuits-Saint-Georges became the property of the family in 1912, and the domain then extended along the Côte de Beaune, with Clos de Corton, hard by the Côte de Nuits, and, among others, properties in Nuits-Saint-Georges, Chambertin, Échezaux, Clos-Vougeot and Musigny.


One Family's
Passion


The 1930's were the end of an era: following an unprecedented worldwide financial crisis and the arrival of a new generation, the two brothers separated their business affairs. Joseph, in the interests of his three sons Bernard, Hubert, and Jean, founded Maison Dufouleur Frères.

Maison Dufouleur Frères was new, however, only in name: since its creation, all of the knowledge, expertise, and even the client base developed by Joseph was the source of our business. The headquarters were installed at the chateau, and the three brothers decided to use the image of the grapecrusher to symbolise the domain.

The Second World War proved to be extremely difficult for the family, with the death in combat of Hubert and Jean kept in long captivity. At the end of the war, it was necessary to completely rebuild the domain. The two remaining brothers launched the business in the overseas exportation of their wines, finding new markets in the United States and Canada as well as Sweden, where the Maison Dufouleur Frères was Official Purveyor to the late King, His Majesty Gustave Adolph V.

Jean Dufouleur's four sons, Hubert, Pierre, Philippe, and Jean-Louis, gradually took over the domain during the 1970s. The domain grew, notably with the purchase of one of the most prestigious parcels in Nuits-Saint-Georges: Les Saint-Georges, a great achievement capping more than four centuries of loyalty to the village.


One Family's
Passion


As the world becomes smaller, and international business catches up with the wine world, numerous domains have changed hands, melting into larger groups that are sometimes multinational.

The Dufouleur family has chosen to remain a family business, preferring to sacrifice size in order to guard our independence. The essential for us is to remain close to the vines while keeping our long-term vision, the only way to guarantee and maintain the dedication required in the elaboration of great wines.

The 12th generation of Dufouleurs arrived in 2006, with Marc and François-Xavier. Solidly anchored in Nuits, they look to the four corners of the globe, where so many people await the arrival of the great wines of Burgundy.


Menu

webdesign

This site makes use of Flash 8.
To experience it the way we intended, you need Macromedia Flash Player 8, a plug-in for your Web Browser that can play the content we've created.
To download and install it, click here.